Braised Shiitake and Napa Cabbage
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, cut the white parts into 2-inch sections and cut the green parts into ribbons
- 12 dried shiitakes (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup shiitake soaking liquid (Note 2)
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce (Note 3)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 500 gram napa cabbage, cut into 2-inch squares
- cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water)
- Soak dried shiitakes: Rinse dried shiitakes with cold running water to clean and place them in a large mixing bowl. Top with two cups of cold water and set aside overnight until they become soft, spongy, and fluffy.
- Reserve shiitake soaking liquid: Strain to separate the soaking liquid from the shiitakes. You will get about a cup of soaking liquid to use as cooking stock.
- Prepare shiitakes: Cut and discard the stems from each shiitake. If you want a prettier presentation, you can also make a small crisscross cut to each of the mushroom caps.
- Sauté garlic: Heat a wok over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat the wok, then add minced garlic and satué until fragrant.
- Add scallions and shiitakes: Add white parts of scallions and shiitake mushrooms, and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Cook sauce: Add shiitake soaking liquid, soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, sugar, and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the wok and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add cabbage: Add napa cabbage and mix well. Cover the wok again and cook for 10 minutes, or until the cabbage is soft and translucent. Add cornstarch slurry and stir for 2 minutes, or until the sauce is thick.
- Serve: Turn off the heat, transfer the dish to a serving plate, and garnish with scallion ribbons. Serve it immediately with steamed white rice.
- (1) Or use 250 grams of fresh shiitake mushrooms.
- (2) Use chicken stock if using fresh shiitakes.
- (3) Use mushroom sauce/vegetarian oyster sauce for a vegan-friendly dish.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.