Chinese Almond Cookies
- 180 gram (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 100 gram (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120 gram (1 1/4 cup) ground almond
- 120 milliliter (1/2 cup) neutral flavor oil (e.g. canola, vegetable, peanut)
- Egg wash and garnish
- egg wash (mix together 1 egg yolk + 1 teaspoon water)
- whole almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Line two baking sheets with parchment papers.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add sugar, salt, and ground almond, mix well. Add oil, mix and form into cookie dough. The texture will be dry, and it is best to use your hands at the very end to bring the dough together.
- Use a teaspoon to shape the dough into round balls. You should get about 55-60 cookies.
- You can leave the cookie plain, or you can decorate each cookie with almond. (*)
- Arrange the shaped cookies on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the top of each cookie with an egg wash, then bake the cookies in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool the cookies in the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Gently remove the cookies and cool on wire rack. Once the cookies are completely cool, store in airtight containers.
- (*) You can use one whole almond to top each cookie. Or you can cut each whole almond into two halves and top each cookie with a half almond.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.