Chinese Apple Herbal Soup
- 2 liter (8 cups) water
- 1 small chicken (Indonesian: ayam kampung), skinless is better, cut into 4-8 pieces
- 15 gram solomon seal rhizome (Chinese: yu zhu)
- 10 gram Chinese yam (Chinese: huai shan)
- 10 gram dried longan (Chinese: gui yuan)
- 10 gram American ginseng
- 4 red dates/jujube (Chinese: hong zao)
- 5 figs (*)
- 2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 5 gram goji berries/wolfberries (Chinese: gou gi zi)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Place water, chicken, solomon seal rhizome, Chinese yam, dried longan, American ginseng, red dates, and figs in a pot. Cover, bring to a boil, lower heat, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Add apples, and simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Add goji berries, and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add salt, adjust to suit your taste.
- Turn off the heat, transfer to serving bowls, and serve hot or warm.
- (*) The Chinese usually use the dried version for making soup, but you can use fresh figs as well.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.