Es Timun Serut - Cucumber and Lime Juice
- 2 cucumber
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds, or basil seeds
- Simple syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- a handful (~ 1/4 cup) of fresh mint (Note 1)
- To serve
- ice-cold water, or club soda (soda water)
- ice cubes
- Mint simple syrup: Cook water, sugar, and mint in a small saucepot until boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, and cover the saucepot with a lid. Rest for 30 minutes, then strain to get a clear syrup.
- Grate cucumbers: Feel free to peel the cucumbers first before grating. Then, shred the cucumbers with a box grater.
- Soak chia seeds: Soak two tablespoons of chia seeds with a cup of drinking water. Stir and set aside to let the seeds expand and soak up all the water.
- Cucumber and lime mix: Combine grated cucumber, lime juice, soaked chia seeds, and mint (or pandan) simple syrup.
- To serve: Fill half a glass with the cucumber and lime mixture. Then top the remaining half of glass with ice-cold water or club soda (soda water) and ice cubes. Stir to mix the drink.
- Blender option: Peel and chop the cucumbers and place it in a blender along with lime juice and simple syrup. Blend into a smooth puree.
- To serve (blender option): Fill half a glass with blended cucumber puree. Add about 2 tablespoons of soaked chia seeds to each glass. Then top the remaining half of glass with ice-cold water or club soda (soda water) and ice cubes. Stir to mix the drink.
- (1) Alternatively, use 3 pandan leaves, tied into a knot.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.