Earl Grey Tea Chiffon Cake
- Earl Grey milk tea
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tea bag Earl Grey Tea
- Egg yolk batter
- 5 egg yolks
- 30 gram (1 oz / ~ 3.5 tablespoon) powdered sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) neutral flavored oil (e.g. vegetable, canola, e.t.c.)
- 100 gram (3.5 oz / ~ 14 tablespoon) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Egg white batter
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (or 1 teaspoon vinegar)
- 60 gram (2 oz / ~ 7 tablespoon) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven: Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Milk tea: Heat the milk until hot but not boiling, then add the tea bags to steep following the tea packaging instruction. Squeeze out as much liquid from the tea bags, and cut open one of the tea bags to obtain a bag's worth of tea leaves.
- Egg yolk batter: Beat egg yolks and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl until well mixed. Add milk tea, tea leaves, and oil, continue beating until well mixed. Sift in cake flour, baking powder, and salt, and beat until just combined.
- Egg white batter: In another large mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar (or vinegar), followed with powdered sugar in 3 batches, whisk until stiff peak.
- Chiffon batter: Fold 1/3 of egg white batter into egg yolk batter with a whisk/spatula until well mixed, then pour this into the remaining egg white batter and fold again until well mixed.
- Bake the cake: Pour the batter into an ungreased and unlined 7-inch angel food pan. Gently tap the pan to remove air bubbles. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Adjust temperature: After 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 160 Celsius (320 Fahrenheit). Continue baking for another 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cake: Cool the chiffon cake by inverting the pan to prevent the cake from collapsing. It will take about 3-4 hours to cool it to room temperature. Once the cake is completely cool, gently run a thin knife along the edges of the pan to unmold the cake.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.