Five Spice Braised Peanuts
- 340 gram (12 oz) dried raw peanuts with skin on
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic with skin on
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 50 gram palm sugar (or rock sugar), or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ~ 2 cup water, or enough to cover peanuts
- (Optional step): Boil peanuts with a tablespoon of vinegar in a pot of water for 10 minutes, and drain. This optional step will remove any bitterness that may present in your batch of peanuts.
- Place peanuts, garlic, star anise, cinnamon, Chinese five-spice powder, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, palm sugar, salt, and water in a saucepot, making sure there is enough water to cover the peanuts completely. Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours, or until peanuts are soft. Make sure to check occasionally and top off with more hot water if the sauce dries up before the 2 hours mark. The peanuts should be tender (but not falling apart) and very flavorful at this point.
- If you have a pressure cooker, you can braise the peanuts in 45 minutes.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.