Gochujang Hobak Jjigae - Spicy Zucchini Soup
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 2 cups of water to rehydrate
- 4 cups anchovy stock (from 4 cups water + 1 tablespoon anchovy stock granules)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon gochujang
- 1 block (1 lb./450 gram) firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 2 average sized zucchini, cut into chunks
- ~ 1/2 tablespoon gook kanjang (Korean soy sauce for soup), or substitute with soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cut away the stem from each shiitake mushroom, then thinly slice the cap.
- Boil together shiitake, shiitake soaking water, anchovy stock, and onion. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add gochujang into the soup, stir until fully dissolved.
- Add tofu, zucchini, gook kanjang, and garlic. Cover the pot again, and continue cooking until the soup boils.
- Check for doneness of zucchini. If they are soft enough, turn off the heat immediately. Otherwise, cook just until the zucchini chunks are soft. You can add more gook kanjang if the soup is not salty enough.
- Serve the soup hot with thinly sliced scallions.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.