Gulai Nangka - Jackfruit Curry
- 600 gram young jackfruit (Indonesian: nangka muda), cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 1 star anise (Indonesian: pekak/bunga lawang)
- 3 cardamom pods (Indonesian: kapulaga)
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 6 cups thin coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 2 asam kandis (*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 3 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 inch turmeric (Indonesian: kunyit)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste, star anise, cardamom pods, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit and toss until well combined and the jackfruit looks wilted.
- Pour coconut milk and add the asam kandis, season with salt and sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour until the jackfruit is really soft. Adjust salt and sugar as needed. Turn off heat and serve immediately.
- (*) Asam kandis can be substituted with asam gelugor (same amount) or tamarind (about 10 gram).
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.