Gulai Telur Padang - Eggs Braised in Spicy Coconut Broth
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 lemongrass, cut into 2 inch sections, bruised
- 3 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 1 cup coconut milk (from canned coconut milk)
- 1 cup water
- 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 80 gram shallot
- 5-8 red bird eye chilies (or fresno chilies)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 inch galangal
- 2 candlenuts
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (or 1" of fresh turmeric)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Heat oil in a wok on medium heat. Sauté spice paste, lemongrass, Indonesian bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant and the spice paste turns a darker shade. About 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and water. Stir to mix. Bring a boil.
- Add hard boiled eggs. Once it returns to a boil again, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thick.
- Turn off the heat. Discard the leaves. Serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.