Gyudon - Japanese Beef Bowl
- 400 gram beef chuck (or any tender cuts, like sirloin or tenderloin, if you are feeling fancy)
- 1 onion
- 1 cup dashi stock (homemade, or 1 cup water + 1 teaspoon bonito flavored dashi seasoning)
- 6 tablespoon sake
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- Must have
- 4 bowls of steamed white rice
- Good to have
- 4 bowls of tofu and wakame miso soup
- 4 raw eggs, or soft poached eggs (onsen tamago)
- beni shoga (pickled ginger)
- nanami togarashi (ground chili pepper)
- Thinly slice the beef. It is much easier if you freeze the beef first before slicing.
- Half the onion and slice thinly.
- Place all sauce ingredients in a pan and bring to a rolling boil. Add beef and onion, cook until the sauce boils again (around 3 to 5 minutes). Then quickly turn off the heat.
- Divide the beef, onion, and sauce over 4 bowls of steamed white rice. Serve immediately.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.