Hainanese Chicken Rice in Rice Cooker
- Chicken rice
- 4 chicken drumsticks (Note 1)
- 1 inch ginger, grated (~ 1 tablespoon)
- 3 cloves garlic, grated (~ 1 tablespoon)
- 3 scallions, 2-inch pieces, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, bruised
- 1/2 inch ginger, bruised
- 2 rice cooker cup (1 1/2 regular cup, or 300 gram) rice, washed and drained
- 1 1/2 regular cup (350 ml) chicken stock
- Garlic ginger chili sauce
- 1 inch ginger (~ 30 gram)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 8-12 bird-eye red chilies
- 4 tablespoon chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lime juice/calamansi juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- Soy sauce for chicken
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon water
- Marinate chicken: Marinate chicken drumsticks with grated ginger, grated garlic, chopped scallions, salt, and a tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Wash rice: Rinse the rice multiple times with cold tap water until the water runs clear before draining.
- Fry garlic and ginger: Heat about a tablespoon of sesame oil in a frying pan and fry some bruised garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Cook in a rice cooker: Place rice in the rice cooker pot, top with chicken stock, add fried garlic and ginger, as well as the marinated chicken drumsticks.
- Cook with the regular "white rice" setting. Use the "cook" function if you have the most basic rice cooker.
- Rest another 15 minutes without opening the rice cooker lid once the light has turned to "keep warm."
- After 15 minutes, open the rice cooker lid, transfer the chicken to a serving plate, fluff the rice, and transfer it to a serving bowl. Serve with chili sauce and soy sauce for chicken.
- Garlic ginger chili sauce: Use a food processor to puree red chilies, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, rice vinegar, lime juice, and chicken stock into a smooth sauce.
- Soy sauce for chicken: Mix the light soy sauce with water.
- (1) Or use 8-10 chicken wings, separated into wingettes and drumettes.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.