Hong Shao Rou (红烧肉) - Red Braised Pork
Author: Anita Jacobson
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 500 gram pork belly, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 2 inches ginger, cut into thin slices, divided
- 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch sections, divided
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon brown rock sugar (or use golden/light brown sugar)
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- Place pork belly, Shaoxing wine, 2-3 slices of the ginger, 2 of the scallions into a pot. Pour enough water so there is about one inch of water covering all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then let cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat about 2 tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium heat, sauté pork belly until slightly browned. Set the pork belly aside, and discard all the oil from the wok.
- Add brown rock sugar to the wok and cook until melts and bubbles. Then in one go, pour the hot water into the wok. Keep stirring until all the sugar has mixed with the water.
- Return the pork belly to the wok, along with the rest of ginger and scallion, and the light soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover the wok with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until the meat is tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the lid, then return the heat to medium high. Continue cooking until the sauce thickened and glaze the pork belly. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and garnish with thinly sliced scallion. Serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.