Japanese Char Siu (Plus Deluxe Shoyu Tamago)
- 6 cups low sodium soy sauce (Note 1)
- 1 cup sake
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 kilogram (~ 2.2 lbs.) pork belly
- 2 onion, cut each into 8 pieces
- 1 bulb garlic, bruise each clove
- 4 scallions
- 2" ginger
- 1 cup carrot
- 1-2 dozens soft boiled eggs, peeled
- Place soy sauce, sake, and brown sugar in a soup pot, mix well. Add pork belly, onion, garlic, scallions, ginger, and carrot into the pot. Bring to a boil, the quickly reduce to a very gentle simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 90 minutes.
- Gently remove the pork belly from the broth and set aside.
- Once the broth is around room temperature, gently drop the eggs into the broth to marinate. Even an hour of soaking time is enough to make delicious shoyu tamago.
- (1) If you use regular soy sauce, use 3 cups regular soy sauce + 3 cups water.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.