Kabocha Pumpkin Yokan
- 500 gram kabocha pumpkin meat
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar powder
- 100 gram (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Kabocha puree. First, steam kabocha meat until soft enough to be mashed. Use a fork, or a food processor, to turn the steamed kabocha into kabocha puree.
- Prepare agar-agar. Boil together water and agar-agar in a small pot, then add sugar and salt and boil until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Mix kabocha with agar. Remove the pot from heat, then stir in kabocha puree into the agar-agar mixture until smooth.
- Let the yokan set. Pour the mixture into a loaf pan (I use an 8”x4” loaf pan), use a spatula to smooth the mixture, and then chill in the fridge until set. About 1 hour.
- Serving. Gently run a thin blade around the loaf pan to loosen the yokan, then cover the pan with a plate and flip. The yokan become loose and drop on the plate.
- Storing. Any leftover yokan can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.