Kabocha to Atsuage no Nimono - Simmered Kabocha and Deep Fried Tofu
- 1/2 kabocha (about 500 gram)
- 200 gram atsuage/deep fried tofu
- 800 ml dashi
- 100 ml mirin
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoon sake
- 6 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cut the kabocha into 2 inch chunks, and partially peel the skin.
- Blanch atsuage in boiling water to remove excess oil. Drain well. Cut into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Place kabocha in a pan with the skin side down, top with tofu, and add all the sauce ingredients. Cover the pan with an otoshibuta (落とし蓋 - drop lid), and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes until the kabocha is tender.
- Serve in small serving bowls topped with thinly sliced ginger.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.