Kakitama Jiru - Japanese Egg Drop Soup
- 5 cups dashi (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, preferably less-sodium soy sauce
- cornstarch slurry (3 tablespoons cornstarch + 3 tablespoons water)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger juice (Note 1)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Place dashi, salt, and soy sauce in a soup pot and boil over medium heat.
- Add cornstarch slurry and stir for about 2 minutes, or until the soup is thick.
- Pour the beaten eggs in a thin stream while stirring the soup gently in one direction to create the egg drop effect.
- Add ginger juice and thinly sliced scallions.
- Turn off the heat and serve the soup immediately.
- (1) Grate 2 inches of fresh ginger with a Microplane or a Japanese ceramic grater and squeeze to get a tablespoon of fresh ginger juice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.