Kari Bihun Medan - Medan Rice Noodles Curry
- 8 cups (2 liter) water
- 800 gram beef shank, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 3 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 star anise (Indonesian: bunga lawang/pekak)
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (Indonesian: kayu manis)
- 4-5 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa), or to taste
- 2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 8 dried chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah kering), soaked in hot water until soften
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds (Indonesian: biji ketumbar)
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder (Indonesian: bubuk kunyit)
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder (Indonesian: bubuk jinten)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds (Indonesian: biji kapulaga)
- 4 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri), or macadamia
- Serve with
- 300 gram rice noodles (Indonesian: bihun), cooked following instructions on the packet
- Place water, beef, and salt in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer until the beef is soft, about 2 hours. Remove scum as needed. (*)
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté spice paste, bay leaves, star anise, and cinnamon stick until fragrant. Pour into the soup.
- Add potato wedges into the pot and return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add coconut milk, palm sugar, and salt. Stir, and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Adjust the amount of palm sugar and salt to suit your taste.
- Turn off heat. Divide the cooked rice noodles into 8 bowls, top with the beef and potatoes curry. Serve piping hot.
- (*) You can cook the beef in a pressure cooker to speed up the process.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.