Ketoprak - Vermicelli and Tofu Salad
- 2 block firm tofu (about 300 gram), drained and cut into 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 1 inch
- 100 gram bean sprouts (Indonesian: taoge)
- 200 gram vermicelli (Indonesian: bihun), soaked in cold water until soft
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into small wedges
- Peanut sauce
- 100 gram peanut with skin on (Indonesian: kacang tanah kulit)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 175 ml - 200 ml warm drinking water
- a bunch of red crackers (Indonesian: kerupuk merah)
- sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- fried shallot (Indonesian: bawang goreng)
- Heat enough oil in a pot for deep frying.
- Deep fry peanuts until a shade darker.
- Deep fry tofu until lightly golden brown.
- Deep fry red crackers until they fluff up.
- Deep fry garlic until lightly golden brown.
- Deep fry Thai chilies until a shade lighter.
- Boil a pot of water and blanch bean sprouts. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Blanch vermicelli, drain and set aside.
- Peanut sauce
- Grind peanut, garlic, Thai chilies, palm sugar, and salt until becoming a thick paste.
- Add water and mix well.
- Assemble the salad
- Arrange vermicelli and cucumber. Top with fried tofu, bean sprouts, crackers, and fried shallots. Drizzle with sweet soy sauce. Serve with the peanut sauce.
- Just prior to eating the salad, pour the peanut sauce and mix well.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.