Laksa Ayam Jakarta - Chicken Coconut Milk Soup
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 900 gram (~ 2 lbs) boneless skinless chicken breast and/or thigh, cut into thin strips
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk, divided
- 2-3 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2-3 teaspoon palm sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk), thinly sliced
- 2 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves (Indonesian: daun ketumbar), thinly sliced
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (Indonesian: bubuk kunyit)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (Indonesian: bubuk jinten)
- 2 tablespoon dried tiny shrimps (Indonesian: ebi), soaked in cold water until puffy and soft
- 3 red fresno chili peppers
- 2-5 Thai bird eye chilies (optional)
- Laksa accompaniments
- boiled rice vermicelli, or steamed white rice
- hard-boiled eggs
- fried shallots (Indonesian: bawang goreng)
- mung bean sprouts (Indonesian: tauge)
- lemon basil (Indonesian: daun kemangi)
- emping crackers
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté spice paste and lemongrass until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add in chicken strips, stir until no longer pink.
- Pour chicken stock and 1/2 can of coconut milk to the pot, season with salt, sugar, and ground pepper.
- Once it boils, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is fully cooked.
- Reduce heat to as low as possible, then add in the remaining coconut milk. Give it a taste test and add salt/sugar as needed.
- Turn off heat. Add in thinly sliced kaffir lime leaves, scallions, and coriander leaves. Serve laksa hot with all the accompaniments.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.