Sayur Lodeh - Indonesian Vegetable Stew in Coconut Milk
5.0 from 11 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 Indonesian bay leaf (Indonesian: daun salam), omit if you don't have this
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 800 ml water/chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa), or to taste
- 1 Chinese eggplant (Indonesian: terong ungu), cut into wedges
- 6 Thai eggplant (Indonesian: terong hijau), quartered
- 10 snake/long bean (Indonesian: kacang panjang), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 250 gram (1/2 lb.) soybean tempeh, diced
- 1 tomato, quartered
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 6-8 (100 gram / 4 oz.) shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 2 teaspoon terasi/belacan/shrimp paste, toasted (or 2 tablespoon dried shrimps (Indonesian: ebi), soaked and drained, lightly toasted)
- 1/2 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1/2 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 3 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (Indonesian: bubuk kunyit) (*)
- 5 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah) (*)
- Heat oil in a soup pot/wok over a medium-high heat. Fry the spice paste until fragrant. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add daun salam (if using) and thinly sliced chilies (if not included in the spice paste). Stir for another minute.
- Add coconut milk, water/chicken stock, season with salt and palm sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Add long/snake beans, eggplants, soybean tempeh, and tomato. Once it boils again, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are fully cooked and tender. Adjust the amount of salt/palm sugar as needed.
- Turn off the heat, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
- (*) If you prefer a white-colored broth, don't include turmeric and red chilies when you make the spice paste. Instead, thinly sliced the chilies and add them in step 2, and completely omit the turmeric.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.