Lontong Sayur - Rice Cakes with Vegetables Stew in Coconut Milk
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 500 gram beef, choose cuts for stew, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 chayotte (Indonesian: labu siam), peeled, cored, and julienned
- 500 gram snake beans (Indonesian: kacang panjang), cut into 1 inch sections
- 20 stink beans (Indonesian: petai), optional
- 2 liter thin coconut milk (or use 7 cups water + 1 can of coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce (Indonesian: kecap ikan)
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa), or to taste
- salt, to taste
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 10 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting) (*)
- 30 gram dried shrimps (Indonesian: ebi), soaked in boiling water to soften
- 2 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- Serve with
- Indonesian rice cakes (Indonesian: ketupat/lontong)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste and bay leaves until fragrant.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add chayotte, snake beans, and stink beans. Cook until vegetables start to wilt.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and palm sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until the meat is tender. You can add more boiling water if the liquid reduces, try to keep the liquid to 2 liter.
- Add more palm sugar and salt to suit your taste. Turn off heat. Transfer to serving bowls, and serve with rice cakes (Indonesian: ketupat/lontong).
- (*) Use red anaheim chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah besar) for a less spicy dish.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.