Ma Lai Gao - Dim Sum Steamed Sponge Cake
- 3 eggs
- 175 gram (6.2 oz) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 70 gram (2.5 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 150 gram all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Prep: Prepare a steamer pot with about 2 inches of water over medium heat. Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper.
- Batter: Beat eggs and brown sugar in a mixing bowl on a medium speed for 5 minutes until thick. Add evaporated milk, melted butter, and vanilla, and beat for another minute. Sift in all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold with a spatula (or use the lowest speed of the electric mixer) until the flour is just mixed.
- Steam: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and steam the cake for 30 minutes.
TIPS: If you are not using a bamboo steamer, you may want to wrap the steamer lid with a kitchen cloth. Steam that rise up to the lid may condense into water droplets that drip on to the cake surface and make the top wet and soggy.
- Rest: Remove the cake from the steamer. After 5 minutes, gently loosen the cake from the pan and remove it from the pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve: Cut the cake into eight slices and serve with a pot of hot tea.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.