Malaysian Assam Fish Curry
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 lemongrass, bruised and knotted
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tomato, cut into 8 wedges
- 30 gram tamarind pulp + 1 1/2 cup water, mix well, strained
- 4-5 Spanish mackerel steaks, or about 650 - 700 gram firm white fish fillet (e.g. red snapper, rock fish, tilapia)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 250 gram okra, cut into halves
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 50 gram shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 3 serrano/cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe keriting)
- 1 inch ginger
- Heat oil in a wok on medium high and sauté spice paste until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add curry leaves, lemongrass, and curry powder. Mix well, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and tamarind liquid, bring to a boil.
- Add fish fillet, season with sugar and salt. Cook until fish is cooked through. Adjust taste as needed.
- Add okra, cook for another minute.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving bowl. Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.