Malbi Sapi Palembang - Palembang Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 800 gram beef, cut into 1 inch cubes (pick your favorite cuts for stew)
- 1 liter (4 cups) water
- 100 ml sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (Indonesian: bubuk pala)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (Indonesian: bubuk merica)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 5 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (Indonesian: biji ketumbar)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (Indonesian: jinten)
- deep fried shallot flakes (Indonesian: bawang merah goreng)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add beef pieces and stir until well coated with the spice and no longer pink.
- Add water, sweet soy sauce, salt, sugar, ground nutmeg, and ground pepper into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beef are cooked and tender, and the sauce has reduced, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Adjust with salt and sugar as needed.
- Turn off heat. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with with shallot flakes and served immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.