Matcha Checkerboard Shortbread Cookies
5.0 from 10 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Serves: 48 cookies
- 140 gram (5 oz/1.25 stick/10 tablespoon) unsalted butter, softened
- 30 gram powdered sugar (1 oz/0.25 cup ) (*)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 240 gram (8.5 oz/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon matcha
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, beat again until creamy.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour and salt, then slowly add to the butter mixture until the dough becomes lumpy. Now use hands to knead into a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions. Add the 1 tablespoon of matcha to only one of the cookie dough, and knead until the color is uniformly green.
- Divide the regular dough into 2 portions, and the matcha dough into 2 portions. With the help of saran wrap/parchment paper, shape each into a 12-inch long cylinder. Stack the four cylinders together to create the checkerboard pattern, gently pat so the 4 cylinders stick together.
- Wrap the shaped dough with saran, and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours (I usually just leave them overnight).
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius/360 Fahrenheit, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove cookie dough from the fridge. With a very sharp knife, slice the dough into 48 equal slices (each about 0.3cm or 1/8-inch). Arrange on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or just until the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve and store any leftovers in an air-tight container.
- (*) This amount of sugar produce shortbread with only a hint of sweetness, which I really like. If you prefer sweeter cookies, you can easily increase the sugar amount by 50%.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.