Matcha Ogura Cake
- Egg yolk batter
- 65 gram all-purpose flour
- 15 gram cornstarch
- 20 gram matcha
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- Egg white batter
- 5 egg whites
- 100 gram sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar/lime juice, or 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 320 Fahrenheit (160 Celsius), boil a kettle of water, and line an 8"x8"x2" square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Egg yolk batter: Beat all-purpose flour, cornstarch, matcha, milk, oil, egg yolks, and one egg in a mixing bowl until thick and slightly pale.
- Egg white batter: In another large mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with vinegar/lime juice/cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar in three batches and continue whisking until the egg whites reach a medium peak.
- Matcha batter: Fold egg white batter into the egg yolk batter with a whisk (or a spatula) in three batches. Be careful not to destroy the air bubbles. Pour the batter into the parchment-lined cake pan.
- Bain-marie set-up: Place an empty baking sheet (a half-sheet pan/9"x13" pan/roasting pan) in the middle rack of the oven. Place the square cake pan on the empty baking tray. Pour boiling water from the kettle onto the baking tray (NOT your cake pan!) to fill about 1/2 inch of the baking tray.
- Bake: Bake the cake for 55-60 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Serve: Remove the cake from the oven and set it aside to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Gently remove the cake from the pan by grabbing the parchment paper and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the cake into 9-16 servings.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.