Mendol Tempe - Deep Fried Spicy Soy Bean Cake
4.0 from 1 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
- 250 gram soy bean cake/tempeh (Indonesian: tempe)
- 1 scallion (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk), thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- enough oil for deep frying
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 2 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1/2 inch kaempferia galanga (Indonesian: kencur)
- 2 red bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah)
- Cut the tempeh into 1/2 inch cubes, then steam for 20 minutes.
- Mash the tempeh with a fork in a mixing bowl, then add spice paste, scallion, kaffir lime leaves, salt, and sugar. Mix well, knead with hands if you must. Divide into 8 portions and shape each into a piece of block (or any shape you want).
- Deep fry the spiced tempeh until golden brown. Drain on wire rack/paper towel. Serve immediately as snack or as side dish with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.