Mi Sop Medan - Medan Style Chicken Noodle Soup
5.0 from 1 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Total Time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 to 6
- 500 gram bone in chicken breast
- 100 gram jicama/water chesnut, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 5 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 liter water
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (Indonesian: kayu manis)
- 1 anise (Indonesian: pekak/bunga lawang)
- 2 cardamom (Indonesian: kapulaga)
- 4 cloves (Indonesian: cengkeh)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 15 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 15 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 2 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 2 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 250 gram dried egg noodles
- 250 gram dried vermicelli
- 2 scallion (Indonesian: daun bawang), finely chopped
- 2 celery leaves (Indonesian: daun seledri), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fried shallot (Indonesian: bawang goreng)
- 2 lime (Indonesian: jeruk nipis), cut into wedges
- Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (Indonesian: sambal bajak)
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Chicken Soup and Fried Chicken
- Heat oil in a soup pot and fry the spice paste until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add water, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, anise, cardamom, and cloves. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken breast and water chestnut and bring to a boil. Cover the lid, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from the soup, fry until golden brown, and tear the meat. Set aside.
- Boil vermicelli and noodle according to the packaging. Drain and set aside. Toss with a little bit of cooking oil to prevent from sticking.
- To serve
- Place some noodles and some vermicelli in a bowl, pour soup and garnish with chopped scallion, celery leaves and fried shallot. Serve with a side dish of fried chicken, lime wedges, and chili sauce.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.