Nastar Gulung - Rolled Pineapple Tart
- Pineapple jam filling (*)
- 1 can (567 gram/20 oz.) crushed pineapple
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (Indonesian: kayu manis)
- 2 cloves (Indonesian: cengkeh)
- 100 gram (1/2 cup) sugar, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Tart crust
- 2 sticks (225 gram/8 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
- 25 gram (3 tablespoon) powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 275 gram (2 1/4 cup) cake flour
- 30 gram (4 tablespoon) cornstarch
- 25 gram (3 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) milk powder
- 50 gram (1/2 cup) grated parmesan/grated cheddar
- Egg wash & decoration
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten for egg wash
- black sesame seeds, decoration (optional)
- Pineapple jam filling
- Boil pineapple, cinnamon, and cloves in a sauce pot over medium heat. Cook until quite dry and there is no standing liquid visible in the pot.
- Add sugar and salt. Stir, cook until really dry, but make sure there are no burnt bits. Set aside to cool completely in the fridge.
- Tart crust
- Cream together unsalted butter, powdered sugar, and salt. Add in egg yolk, and beat until well mixed.
- Sift together cake flour, cornstarch, and milk powder. Add this into the butter mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Add in the grated parmesan/cheddar, mix well into a workable cookie dough.
- Shaping ad baking the cookies
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 5 portions. And, divide the pineapple jam filling into 5 portions.
- Roll each portion of dough into 8"x4" rectangle, shape each pineapple jam into an 8" long thin log, place on the center of the dough. Roll into a log, and cut into 8 equal pieces, each 1" long. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet. (**)
- Repeat until all dough and jam filling is used up.
- Preheat oven to 150 Celsius (300 Fahrenheit). Chill the shaped cookies in the fridge while the oven is preheating.
- Once the oven temperature reaches 150 Celsius (300 Fahrenheit), remove the cookies from the fridge, and immediately bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, then apply egg wash on top of each cookie, and decorate with black sesame seeds.
- Bake again for another 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, store in air-tight container.
- (*) If you prefer your nastar to be filled with plenty of pineapple jam, feel free to double the filling recipe. The tart crust recipe should stay the same.
- (**) I use a sushi bamboo mat to help with the rolling.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.