Niku Jaga - Japanese Meat and Potato Stew
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 300 gram (10 oz) pork/beef
- 600 gram potato (20 oz / 2-3 medium size)
- 1 onion
- 150 gram (5 oz) green beans
- 3 1/2 cup dashi stock (or 3 1/2 cup water + 2 teaspoon bonito flavored dashi seasoning)
- 6 tablespoon sake
- 4 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- Prep: Cut pork/beef into thin slices. Peel and cut each potato into 8 wedges. Peel and cut onion into thin slices.
- Cook meat and potatoes: Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat and lightly sauté thinly sliced pork/beef. Add potato and onion, mix well.
- Cook sauce: Add all sauce ingredients (dashi stock, sake, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin) into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes, and other vegetables, are tender (about 15 minutes)
- Prepare green beans: Meanwhile, blanch green beans and cut them into thin diagonal slices.
- Serve: Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Scatter blanched green beans on top of the stew and served immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.