Oatmeal Cereal Butter Prawns
5.0 from 10 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- Crispy oatmeal topping
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal (not quick cook)
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- Deep fried prawns
- 450 gram (1 lb. / about 2 dozens) deveined prawns (*)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- enough oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon fresh curry leaves (about a dozen leaves)
- 1-2 red bird eye chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Mix together oatmeals with melted butter and brown sugar. Spread evenly on a baking sheet (I use a half-sheet pan), and bake for 10 minutes, stirring half way. Once cool enough, mix with salt and milk powder. Set aside.
- Mix together prawns with lime juice and salt. Set aside for 10 minutes. Then add in egg and corn starch, mix well.
- Heat a pot of oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot (180 Celsius/350 Fahrenheit if you want to be specific), deep fry the prawns for 30 seconds, or just until the prawns turn pink. Drain over wire rack to remove excess oil.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a wok/frying pan until foamy. Add curry leaves and chilies, fry until the leaves look crispy.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add the oatmeal topping, mix well. Add the deep fried prawns, stir to coat.
- Remove from heat immediately. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
- (*) Basically no head, cut away the feet, trim the tail part a bit, slice top and bottom through the shell and remove the yucky black stuff.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.