- 1 chicken, cut into 4-8 pieces (or use 8 chicken drumsticks)
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), cut and bruised
- 2 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 500 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- fried shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah goreng), for garnish (optional)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 5 candlenut (Indonesian: kemiri) (or 8-10 macadamia nuts)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (Indonesian: biji ketumbar)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (Indonesian: biji jinten)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pot and stir fry the spice paste until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon grass, bay leaf, and kaffir lime leaf and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add water and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced, about 20 minutes. Add salt and/or sugar as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fried shallots.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.