Orange Sugar Bread Rolls
- Bread dough
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) warm milk (38 Celsius/100 Fahrenheit)
- 3 gram active dry yeast
- 5 gram sugar
- 300 gram bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 25 gram sugar
- 2 gram salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon (30 gram) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Orange sugar topping
- 50 gram sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 4 tablespoon (60 gram) unsalted butter, cut into 16 cubes
- Simple syrup glaze (mix together the following)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- Bread dough
- Mix warm milk with active dry yeast and 5 gram sugar. Set aside until foamy, about 15 minutes.
- Sieve together bread flour (or all-purpose flour), sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the flour ingredients, then pour orange juice, egg, butter, and the foamy yeast solution into the well. Knead into a non-sticky, soft, elastic, and smooth dough. Hand knead is about 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 portions, shape each into a ball, and arrange on a parchment lined 8" square baking pan.
- Cover with a wet kitchen towel/saran wrap, and let the dough proof until double. The dough should expand to fill the pan. Proofing time is about 1 hour in a warm kitchen.
- Adding the orange sugar topping
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Mix together sugar and fresh orange zest.
- Make a diagonal slit on top of each bread rolls. Stuff each slit with some orange sugar (divide equally between the 16 bread rolls), and stuff one cube of unsalted butter into the slit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Simple syrup glaze
- Remove baked bread from oven.
- Mix together sugar and hot water to make simple syrup. You can microwave the mixture for 15-30 seconds if you use cold water instead of hot water.
- Brush the top of the bread with simply syrup to create a nice shiny glaze to the bread.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.