Oven Baked Garlic Butter Naan Bread
- 1/2 cup warm water (38 Celsius/100 Fahrenheit)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm (or at room temperature) plain yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 300 gram (2 1/2 cup) all purpose flour + roughly 60 gram (1/2 cup) while kneading
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1-2 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro(or parsley) leaves
- Mix together warm water, sugar, and active dry yeast in a large mixing bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes, or until foamy.
- Once the yeast solution is foamy, add yoghurt, olive oil, grated garlic, salt, and the 300 gram all purpose flour. Knead the dough until soft and non sticky. If the dough is sticky, add in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time, and continue kneading. You may need less or more than the stated 60 gram of additional flour, depends on your the brand of flour, the temperature and/or humidity of your kitchen.
- Incorporate the pieces of unsalted butter cubes into the dough, and knead until soft, smooth, and elastic. Don't worry too much if there is some small lumps of butter not fully incorporated.
- Place the dough in an oiled mixing bowl. Cover with saran wrap or a wet kitchen towel. Let the dough proof until the volume is almost doubled. It should take about 1 hour in a warm kitchen, and may take longer in winter time.
- Once the dough is doubled, it is time to start preheat the oven to 260 Celsius (500 Fahrenheit). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Punch the dough to release air bubbles, then knead again for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the dough out on a well floured work surface. Gather into a round ball, then divide into 8 portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball, then flatten with your palm and fingers into a slightly oval shape. I usually just eyeball it so one half-sheet pan can fit 4 pieces of bread. If you need a measurement, then I would say about 5"x7" each.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7-8 minutes. Then turn on the broiler function, and broil for 1 minute.
- Brush freshly baked naan bread with melted salted butter, then sprinkle with some chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley). Best when served immediately.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.