Ozoni - Soup with Rice Cakes
- Mochi rice cake
- 1/2 cup mochiko sweet rice flour (Japanese: もち粉)
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup water
- 125 gram skinless boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced (about 5mm)
- 100 gram daikon, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced (about 5 mm)
- 50 gram carrot, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced (about 2 mm)
- 4 fresh shiitake mushroom, remove stems
- 100 gram taro root (Japanese: satoimo 里芋), peeled and thinly sliced (about 1cm)
- 2 1/2 cup dashi
- 120 gram white miso (Japanese: 白みそ)
- yuzu rinds
- chopped scallions
- Place mochiko in a mixing bowl. Add water gradually, kneading, until the dough becomes as hard as your earlobes.
- Divide the dough into 4 portion, and shape each into a 1 inch thick disc.
- Boil a pot of water, cook the mochi discs for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Optional: preheat broiler and broil mochi until the surface is charred.
- Boil a pot of water.
- Parboil chicken breast slices, set aside.
- Boil daikon and carrot until tender, set aside.
- Boil shiitake caps for 3 minutes, set aside.
- Place taro root in a pot of cold water, boil until tender, set aside.
- Bring dashi to a boil. Add white miso and stir until fully dissolved. Turn off heat.
- Arrange chicken and boiled vegetables neatly in 4 soup bowls. Top each with a piece of mochi. Pour hot soup broth to each bowl, and garnish with yuzu or chopped scallion.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.