Pear and Chocolate Scones
- 3 ripe but still firm anjou pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark/bitter chocolate, chopped into chunks (or use chips)
- egg wash
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit (190 Celcius). Line a baking tray with a parchment paper.
- Place cubed pears on lined baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the surface is slightly browned. Transfer to a mixing bowl and cool in the fridge until only slightly warm to the touch.
- Discard the used parchment paper and line the baking tray with a new parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Toss in cubed butter, cubed pears, heavy cream, and egg. With an electric mixer, beat on lowest speed until the dough comes together. Then add in the chocolate chunks (or chips), mix another 5-10 seconds.
- Transfer the dough to a well floured surface, make into a 6" round, divide into 6 equal portions, then transfer to prepared baking tray, set them at least 2" apart.
- Mix together all the ingredients for egg wash. Brush each of the dough with egg wash. If you like, you can sprinkle with coarse sugar too.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the surface is golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack, serve hot.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.