Pempek Adaan Ayam Udang - Deep Fried Chicken and Shrimp Balls
- 500 gram ground chicken
- 250 gram ground shrimp
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), grind into a fine paste
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100 ml thick coconut milk (Indonesian: santan kental)
- 500 gram tapioca powder (Indonesian: tepung sagu)
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, shrimp, salt, sugar, and shallots. Mix well.
- Add eggs and coconut milk in batches and slowly incorporate well into the mixture.
- Add tapioca powder and fold gently so everything is well combined.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying on medium heat. When a bit of mixture dropped into the oil bubbles immediately, the oil is hot enough.
- With the help of two spoons, make balls and drop into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown. Repeat until all mixture is used up. (*)
- Serve hot with pempek sauce.
- (*) You can use your hands to shape your pempek into perfect balls, but I love the rustic look of non perfect balls that I get by shaping them with spoons :)
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.