Perkedel Kentang - Potato Fritters
- 1 kilogram (~ 2.2 lb) potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 250 gram (~ 9 oz.) ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (Indonesian: bubuk pala)
- 1/4 cup deep-fried shallot (Indonesian: bawang goreng)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions/chives/Chinese celery (Indonesian: daun seledri) (*)
- 1-2 egg, lightly beaten
- oil for deep frying
- Prepare a pot of hot oil for deep frying. It is best if you have at least 2 inches of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry potato wedges until golden brown. Set aside over a wire rack to remove excess oil. (**)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry ground beef with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Transfer potatoes into a mixing bowl, and mash with a fork/potato masher until smooth. Add ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, sugar, nutmeg, fried shallots, and chives/scallions/Chinese celery. Stir and mix until uniform and gather into a ball.
- Divide the mixture into 16 portions and shape into patties. Arrange on a baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Prepare a pot for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, dip potato patties in lightly beaten egg to coat, and deep fry until golden brown. Drain over a wire rack to remove excess oil.
- (*) You can use a mixture of these three, or just pick one of these.
- (**) If you have a thermometer, you want to start deep frying once the oil reaches 170 Celcius/340 Fahrenheit. For a no thermometer method, use a bamboo chopstick and stick it in the hot oil. If you see bubbles around the chopstick, the oil is ready.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.