Pindang Tahu Goreng - Fried Tofu in Spicy Broth
- 500 ml water
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), thinly sliced
- 3 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting), thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe), bruised
- 1/2 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), bruised
- 1/2 inch turmeric (Indonesian: kunyit), bruised
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 1 bay leaf (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 10 deep fried tofu (Indonesian: tahu goreng), cut each into two triangles
- 5 green bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit hijau)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind liquid (1 teaspoon tamarind + 1 tablespoon water), remove pulp and pits
- Boil together water, shallot, garlic, cayenne chili, ginger, galangal, turmeric, lemongrass, bay leaf, and sweet soy sauce in a pan.
- Add tofu and bird eye chilies, season with salt and sugar. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add tamarind liquid and mix well, adjust seasoning as needed. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.