- Bread dough
- 360-400 gram all-purpose flour
- 80 gram sugar
- 7 gram (2 1/4 teaspoon) instant yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 35 gram (2 1/2 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 60 gram (4 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 100 gram sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional, but highly recommended)
- 200 gram cake flour (Note 1)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (Note 2)
- Egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Bread dough: Mix all-purpose flour, sugar, instant yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well, then add warm milk and egg. Stir into a shaggy mass, then knead until smooth. Add the butter and knead until the butter is well mixed into the dough. Stop kneading once the dough is soft, smooth, and elastic. You can add flour if the dough feels too tacky, one tablespoon at a time.
- First proof: Place the dough in a mixing bowl, and wrap it with a wet kitchen towel or a saran wrap. Proof the dough in a warm kitchen for about 1 hour, or until the volume has doubled.
- Prepare the topping: Mix soft room temperature butter and sugar with a silicone spatula in a mixing bowl. Add egg and vanilla (if using), and mix until combined. Sift in cake flour and baking powder, continue mixing until it comes together into a ball.
- Chill the topping: Divide the topping into 12 portions, and shape each into a round ball. Arrange them on a plate lined with parchment paper. Cover with a saran wrap, and chill in the fridge for later.
- Second proof: Once the bread dough has finished its first proof, punch through it to release air bubbles. Transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Divide the dough into 12 portions, and knead each into a ball. Arrange these on a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Cover with a wet kitchen towel/saran wrap, and proof for the second time for 45 minutes.
- Add topping: Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit). Remove the topping from the fridge. With the help of parchment paper and rolling pin, roll each ball of topping into a flat disc, and use it to cover each dough.
- Bake the bread: Apply egg wash (mix together egg yolk and milk) to each of the toppings, then bake the bread in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and continue baking for another 23-25 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
- (1) If you have dry milk powder, you can use 175 grams of cake flour and 25 grams of dry milk powder instead of 200 grams of cake flour. The addition of milk powder will make the topping even more flavorful.
- (2) For a crispier topping, you can use 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda instead of 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.