Pisang Goreng - Indonesian Fried Banana
- 8 ripe saba bananas (or 4 ripe plantains, cut each plantain into 2 to get 8 pieces total)
- oil for deep frying
- Pisang goreng batter
- 100 gram rice flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat enough oil in a pot for deep frying, make sure there are at least 2 inches of oil, preferably 3 inches.
- Meanwhile, peel all the bananas. Optionally, make three slits along its length, but keep the bottom 1 inch intact, so the bananas can be opened up like a fan.
- Whisk together all pisang goreng batter in a mixing bowl.
- Once the oil is hot, scoop 1 tablespoon of hot oil and add to the batter, whisk again. (*)
- Coat the bananas with batter and deep-fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. At around 2 minutes into frying, drop batter in drips into the hot oil to make plenty of batter droplets, then quickly coat the bananas with the resulting crispy bits. This creates an additional layer to ensure your resulting pisang goreng stays crispy for longer.
- Remove bananas and drain on a wire rack to remove excess oil. Pisang goreng is best when served immediately.
- (*) If you have bamboo chopsticks, you can tell that the oil is ready once there are bubbles around a bamboo chopstick that are lowered in the hot oil.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.