Poached Chicken and Ginger Scallion Sauce
- 750 gram (~ 26 oz) chicken drumsticks
- 4 cups water
- 1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, chopped or knotted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Ginger scallion sauce
- 40 gram (1.4 oz) ginger, minced
- 80 gram (2.8 oz) scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- Poached chicken: Boil 4 cups of water with ginger and scallion in a pot. Lower chicken into the boiling pot and let it return to a boiling point. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer, cover the pot and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the chicken sit in the pot for an additional 15 minutes without opening the lid.
- Remove chicken from the pot and place in a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes to stop the cooking process, firm up the meat, and make the chicken skin crispy.
- Shred chicken into small pieces, toss with sesame oil, and arrange on a serving plate.
- Ginger scallion sauce: Place ginger, scallion, and salt in a heat-proof bowl and mix. When you give this a quick taste, it should taste salty and not merely the taste of the right amount of salt.
- Heat oil in a small pot until it starts to smoke. Pour hot oil over the ginger and scallions. Stir, then let the sauce cool to room temperature.
- Serve: Serve the poached chicken with room temperature ginger and scallion sauce.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.