Risol Bihun - Vermicelli Spring Rolls
5.0 from 5 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 50 gram shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon ground dried shrimp (I use Maesri shrimp powder)
- 100 gram carrot, julienned
- 50 gram Chinese celery (or standard celery), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 250 gram dried rice vermicelli, soaked in cold water until soft, then drained
- about 20 to 24 spring roll skins
- bird eye chilies
- chili sauce, such as sriracha
- Heat oil in a wok over medium high heat. Sauté shallot and garlic until fragrant, then add ground dried shrimp, carrot, and celery. Stir to mix well. Season with sugar, salt, pepper, and turmeric. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add vermicelli to the wok, and stir with large chopsticks (or tongs) until fully cooked. Taste test and adjust salt/sugar/pepper as needed.
- Turn off heat and transfer the cooked vermicelli to a large mixing bowl and let it cool to room temperature.
- Take a piece of spring roll skin, heap about 1/4 cup of cooked vermicelli at the center, and wrap. You can seal the skin with either water or egg white. Repeat until all cooked vermicelli is used up.
- Heat a pot of oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot and shimmering (~ 170 Celsius / 340 Fahrenheit), fry the spring rolls, in batches, until golden brown.
- Set aside over wire rack to remove excess oil.
- Serve immediately with bird eye chilies or your choice of chili sauce
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.