Sambal Bawang - Shallot and Chili Relish
- 125 gram shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 50 gram red Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah)
- 6 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pack (7 gram) chicken bouillon granules (Indonesian: bubuk kaldu ayam)
- Peeled, washed and drained the shallots. Set aside.
- Remove the stalks from chilies. Optionally, wear a pair of plastic gloves and remove the seeds from chilies to reduce the spiciness level. Washed and drained. Set aside.
- With a food processor, or pestle and mortar, grind shallots and chilies to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the chili paste until it turns a darker shade and fragrant. Then season with salt, sugar, and chicken bouillon granules and cook until the chili relish is slightly caramelized.
- Turn off heat, let cool and store in a glass jar. This can keep for up to 1 month in the fridge. Return to room temperature prior to serving (or reheat in a microwave).
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.