Sambal Goreng Tauco Labu Siam - Chayote in Fermented Soy Bean and Chili Sauce
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 red anaheim chilies (Indonesian: cabe besar merah), slice diagonally
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fermented soy bean (Indonesian: tauco)
- 1 chayote (Indonesian: labu siam), about 350 gram, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot (Indonesian: wortel), about 200 gram, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 4 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe keriting merah)
- 3 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- Heat oil and sauté spice paste, bay leaves, sliced chilies, and fermented soy bean until fragrant. About 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chayote and carrot, season with salt and sugar, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk, mix well, and cook until the sauce is thick and reduced.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.