Sambal Krecek dan Tahu - Beef Skin and Tofu in Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah besar), sliced diagonally
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), bruised
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 5 Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit), optional
- 500 ml coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 50 gram black eyed beans (Indonesian: kacang tolo), washed and drained
- 200 gram firm tofu (Indonesian: tahu putih), cut into small cubes
- 100 gram beef skin crackers (Indonesian: kerupuk kulit/rambak kulit)
- Spice paste
- 8 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 tomato
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Sauté spice paste, red chilies, bay leaves, lemongrass, and galangal until fragrant and turns a darker shade, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, palm sugar, Thai chilies (if using), and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Add black eyed peas. Reduce heat and simmer until the beans become tender and cooked. About 30-45 minutes.
- Add tofu. Keep simmer until the sauce is reduced and almost gone.
- Add beef skin crackers. Once the crackers wilted and all the sauce is absorbed into the crackers, turn off heat. Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot or at room temperature.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.