Sambal Terasi Udang - Spicy Shrimp Sauce Prawns
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 lemongrass, bruised and knotted
- 3-5 dried red chilies, seeded
- 3/4 cup water
- tamarind juice from 5 gram tamarind + 2 tablespoon water, massaged and strained
- 1-2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 450 gram (1 lb.) prawns, shelled and deveined
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot (or onion)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tomato
- 3-5 red bird eye chilies, seeded
- 1 inch galangal
- 6 candlenuts (or 12 macadamia)
- 10 gram shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi), toasted
- Heat oil in a wok/frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté spice paste, lemongrass, and dried red chilies until fragrant and cooked. About 8-10 minutes.
- Add water, tamarind juice, salt, and sugar. Stir, then cover the wok/pan with a lid, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Give a quick taste test and add salt/sugar if needed. Add in the prawns and kaffir lime leaves. Cover again with lid, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or just until the prawns are cooked.
- Turn off the heat. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.