Sambal Tomat - Tomato Chili Sauce
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 10 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 2 to 10 red bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah)
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), peeled
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), peeled
- 1 tomato, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 teaspoon toasted shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi bakar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté cayenne chilies, bird eye chilies, shallot, garlic, tomato, and shrimp paste until fragrant. About 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked ingredients to a food processor (or a pestle and mortar), along with salt and palm sugar, and about 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil. Grind into a paste.
- Serve immediately, or transfer to a clean jar and chill in the fridge. Always return chilled paste to room temperature prior to serving.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.