Sambal Udang Petai - Shrimp and Stink Bean in Chili Sauce
- 400 gram shrimp
- 100 gram stink bean (Indonesian: petai)
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon thick coconut milk (Indonesian: santan kental)
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 75 gram chili (Indonesian: cabe merah besar)
- 10 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 2 candlenut (Indonesian: kemiri)
- Devein shrimps and remove the shells, but leave the tails intact.
- Half each stink bean. Discard the ones with worms inside. Wash and drain.
- Heat cooking oil on high heat in a frying pan, fry the stink beans until they turn a brighter shade of green, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the spice paste and sugar until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 1 minute.
- Pour in the water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes.
- Add sweet soy sauce and salt. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes have fully disintegrated and incorporated into the sauce and the liquid has reduced slightly and thickened.
- Return the fried stink bean along with Thai chilies into the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add shrimps and quickly toss around for 30 seconds.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.