Sapi Lada Hitam - Beef with Black Pepper Sauce
- 500 gram beef (flank, skirt, tri-tip loin, or sirloin), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2-3 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red and green chilies (or red and green bell peppers), seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (Indonesian: saus tiram)
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (or cornstarch) + 3 tablespoon water, mixed well
- 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch sections
- Marinade beef. Mix thinly sliced beef with soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, and ground black pepper. Set aside to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours, and up to one night. Once you are ready to cook, return the marinated beef to room temperature.
- Fry aromatics. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add onion, and cook until slightly translucent.
- Fry beef. Add marinated beef into the pan, along with all the marinating sauce, and stir to mix. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Black pepper sauce. Add the chilies (or bell peppers), oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce (kecap manis), sugar, and salt. Mix well, and cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust salt and sugar as needed.
- Thicken the sauce. Add tapioca starch/cornstarch slurry (tapioca starch/cornstarch + water) into the wok. Stir until the sauce is thick, then cook for another minute.
- Garnish and serve. Add scallions and stir, then transfer the finished dish to a serving platter. Serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.